Thursday, 5 November 2015

When I was  little girl I had two main ambitions, number one to be a school teacher and number two to be a mum. of course I wanted to be an acrobat in a circus, and play hockey at the Olympics, and be an ice skater, and play the flute in a big orchestra.


Well, I never did join a circus, and though I did play hockey I never quite reached the dizzy heights of Olympic selection; and I played the flute in an orchestra, at school! I even learned to ice skate but I wasn't exactly what you could call graceful.
But! I did achieve my two main ambitions, I was a teacher for many years and I am a mum, to my wonderful son Ben.


I have now achieved the milestone which is my sixtieth birthday. I've lived through six decades, from black and white TV to 3D TVs, from a phone box at the end of the road to a mobile phone which is also my clock, diary, camera and weather station and from a roaring open fire to central heating (when it works!)
I've lived through the first moon landing, Concorde, the first heart transplant, Euro tunnel and more wars and conflicts than I care to count. I've seen blackboards morph into interactive whiteboards and technology in general spread its influence over every aspect of life.
My body reminds me daily that it has served me well for sixty years and yet in my heart of hearts I still feel the same as I did in my twenties. You know the feeling when you are in a situation and you look around for a grownup, only to realise you are the grownup!


I've had my share of good times and bad times but if I had to make a sweeping generalisation I would have to say I have lived a blessed life. I think you might call me a late bloomer. I adopted my son Ben when I was thirty five, became a senior soldier in the Salvation Army at fifty three and a published author at fifty eight, now, at sixty I'm a guest speaker (didn't see that coming!) and a workshop leader.


In the last couple of years I have learned to tentatively enjoy technology (when it works!) Facebook, Twitter, my own Website and now, a blog! I've even finally learned to send attachments with emails and I can transfer photos from my phone or tablet to my laptop. If all goes to plan I will also have uploaded my own blog, on my own! You see, you can teach an old dog new tricks.


I've found a way to join two of my favourite activities, doodling and writing, in Bible Journaling and I am loving this new direction.

I am not good at being disciplined or consistent, I don't write everyday as I did when I was writing "Joel, an unexpected hero". Scribboodles is my attempt to develop a daily habit of writing, be it a diary, a short story, a poem or even ( forgive me) the occasional rant.

I hope you'll join me now and again.

Jane
 
 

4 comments:

  1. My mum is a really special to me looking at the old photos of her she is one incredible person I know she is amazing and what she does is fantastic I'm proud of my mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed reading this Jane. You are such a talented lady and I look forward to reading more about your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your first post Jane and I look forward to following your adventure in Blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading this Jane and look forward to hearing more :)

    ReplyDelete